Saturday, May 18, 2013

What’s In It For You? #Dreams




 At every point in our lives we need to have some dream or the other, something special and dear to our hearts we want to achieve. We really cannot lead meaningful lives without such things tugging at our hearts. It’s what makes getting up every morning even worth it.

I’m saying this because something happened that just brought tears to my eyes and made me value dreams and visions so much more.

Many years ago while I was still an undergraduate I met this guy. We were in class together actually and he always struck me as kinda weird. He was very studious and committed to his academics but also kinda … wild. I didn’t know how to place him. For me you were either this or that but this guy seemed to live in both worlds.

We used to tease each other about who studied more (it was him really, I just copied him  J) anyways we got close and I learnt he’d always had the desire to be a doctor and he was bent on making it to medical school, no matter what it took.

Now I also grew up with that fantasy about being Doctor Roy. But sha the system, a few disappointments and a scary bloody (literally) surgical procedure I saw on TV cured me for life! Doctor Roy? Thanks but... er… no thanks. Now I didn't know what I wanted to be but I sure knew doctor wasn't even close. But this is not about me. This is about my friend Alban. He is a great man. J

We graduated and lost touch. And for the next seven years I wouldn't hear from him. And then… one sunny afternoon few weeks ago he buzzes me up on Facebook and I couldn't believe my eyes. His profile name? Dr. Alban… and no he wasn't hoping to be a doctor someday, he had done it! Tears welled up in my eyes.

Now people become doctors every day, no big deal. But what made goose bumps break out on my skin was his determination. After four years of undergraduate school turned five, he went back to study medicine? Like seriously?  It’s what makes you want to ask, with your nose in the air like in the movies. ”What’s in it for you?”

If you grew up in Nigeria, without parents who have everything and can offer you the world, you had to work, I mean literally take your life in your hands and run with it. Either that or you … well take whatever life hands you.

Seven years, folks, this guy went back to medical school because he had a dream. It must have been hard. Most guys just want to make money when they leave school, nothing wrong with that. But the pressure, oh, the pressure! Everyone expects you to do this or that. Move out of the house, get a car, take care of your younger siblings, get married, get an apartment, be responsible. But he chased down his dream. He did. It must have been hard but he did.

I think of my friend Jirade who runs a catering company, the way she works tirelessly, day and night to work her dream. It IS hard. But she’s not giving up. Oh no she’s not!

These folks inspire me. What’s the point of living if we don’t follow our passions? What would life be like if we just lie down and let it walk all over us? And for folks like us who won’t get it unless we work, roll up our sleeves and get our hands dirty, the fulfillment of getting there is … ah…worth too much to pass up.

That's why I aim to rise. My dream is alive!

Is yours?

Roy.



P.S. If you’re in Lagos and need a caterer buzz Jirade at Sweet Pea Edibles, 08036954523, 08099786854, BBpin: 22FB845A. http://www.facebook.com/SweetPeaEdibles


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Roy, this is a great piece. I've always been an advocate of 'have a dream and follow your dream'. Don't be caught up by dogma. Thanks.

Roy said...

Thanks Lekan. You're right. At the edn of it all that's all it comes down to. Fulfilling those dreams.
Thanks for stopping by. :)